Monday, April 6, 2009

Out Like a Lion

50mi. 5 days of running. The highlight/lowlight of the week was a west-side run at Cougar/Squawk Mountain. My family and I took a spring break trip to the big city, so it seemed like a good idea to do my long run with some other people. Indeed, a fine idea. The first four hours were great :) I had excellent company and pretty ideal 40-50 degree running temps. It had snowed overnight, so the trails were a little rough, but it was still very possible to run, and much better than any trail options back in Winthrop at this time of year. The main problem with the run: it was too far. Alas, I had only managed about 2:15 for 14-15 miles on the roads at home. This run was 22mi, and I really started to feel it at about 4:15. Actually, it became a little scary after that. It took me around 1:15 to cover the last 2 miles, and I could not prevent myself from sitting down to rest every 5-10 minutes - even though I knew that I should keep moving. I was wet, cold, and wanting for calories. A couple of hikers heroically ushered me in over those last two miles, even though it certainly interrupted their afternoon of walking in the woods. I'm not sure what I would have done without their help, and that of the woman who eventually drove me back to Seattle Running Co. - and bought me a sandwhich, some pringles, and something to drink along the way. Thank you Julie! (I thought I had missed my ride. Turns out I hadn't, but didn't have the presence of mind to accurately place them in the parking lot upon my tardy return). Live and learn :)

March Totals: 173mi. 21 days of running
YTD: 303mi.

No comments: